This page provides links to articles which members have submitted to share with others about what’s happening in our local area, from April 2020 to date.
- Tony Wood has prepared a summary of Summer Wildlife around the area, based on the Recent Sightings page, and contributions from others
- A brief report and a video recording about her experience as a volunteers monitoring Bats in Churches, from Sue Hetherington
- An article by Alan Birkett on Autumn Trees, and why their leaves change colour.
- A report from Gordon Redford of his moth records in August in Linford Lakes Nature Reserve (his May, June and July reports are also available)
- An excellent chance to watch, from the comfort of your home, Gordon Redford and Ayla Webb emptying the moth traps at Linford Lakes NR on a damp and windy morning on 26th August.
- Chris Coppock’s lakeside reflection on the tribulations of identifying an Elephant Hawkmoth caterpillar
- A fascinating account of recording nocturnal migration of birds, from Harry Appleyard’s Tattenhoe garden
- News from Harry Appleyard of his sighting of a Lesser Emperor dragonfly in Tattenhoe Park – a new species for Milton Keynes
- Andy Harding’s unexpected success in luring Clearwing moths
- An item from Sue Hetherington about inviting nature in to her new garden.
- An encounter with stag-beetles near Totternhoe, with stunning photos, from Matt Andrews
- News of a new wildflower habitat at Stanton Low, and an entertaining account of cuckoo ringing at Linford Lakes Nature Reserve, from Martin Kincaid
- An update on John Prince’s work on Dormice in Little Linford Wood, with an appeal to anyone who’d like to get involved.
- A short piece on Andy Harding’s fascinating observation of a Buff Tip moth in his garden.
- Amazing photos of the inhabitants of Simon Bunker’s new pond.
- News of bees’ fondness for the Secret Bee Bush – Ann and Mark Strutton’s Cotoneaster.
- A video report of meadow saxifrage in Stony Stratford Nature Reserve, by Jenny Mercer.
Spring under lockdown
- Dawn Chorus walks in Olney’s river meadows – Julie Lane
- Wildife in Lockdown: Tattenhoe and Surrounding Areas – Harry Appleyard
- Life in a bubble in Gawcott, near Buckingham – Sue Hetherington
- Spring on Bury Common, Newport Pagnell – Ann Jones