Due to the fact that we are unable to meet in person at the moment and the date for a return to the Cruck Barn is not yet certain, we have decided to run the competition via the Society’s website with voting by email. The process and timetable are explained below.
The competition is for the Ron Arnold Shield. Ron Arnold was an early member of the Society and a keen photographer. The competition was set up in his memory.
The competition is open to all members of the Society. Any non-members who would like to participate are welcome to join in order to take part (https://mknhs.org.uk/membership-2/ )
There are four categories:
- All other animals, including mammals, fish, insects etc.
- Plants and fungi.
- Habitats, geological, astronomical.
The following rules apply:
- This year, as foreign travel has been so restricted, images for all categories should have been taken in the UK between January 2020 and January 2021
- Domestic animals and cultivated plants are not eligible.
- People must not be a major subject of any photograph.
- Digital images only can be entered, by email to Photos2021@mknhs.org.uk
- Please use jpg files. Maximum file size 4MB
- They can be horizontal (landscape) or vertical (portrait).
- Each member may enter a maximum of 2 images per category. (That’s 8 images in total). If you are submitting more than 4 images, please split between 2 emails, or use WeTransfer.
- Please state the category of entry for each image and provide a brief caption for each photo stating when and where taken and species if known/relevant. If you submit more than one photo, make sure it is clear which caption goes with each photo!
May the best photograph win! It could be yours!
How the 2021 Photo competition will be run, and key dates:
- Send your entries to the mailbox (Photos2021@mknhs.org.uk) by 11pm on 26 January 2021
- Members’ photos will be posted in the four categories on the web site photo competition page (Photo Competition 2021) one week after the deadline (i.e. on 02 February 2021)
- Members have a week to decide their choice of top two per category for Round 1. Members send in their choices by email to the same mailbox. (Votes to be received by 09 February 2021)
- The votes are counted and the top 8 photos selected. The top eight photos are posted on the website one week after the deadline for voting in round 1. (i.e. by 16 February 2021)
- Members have one week to send in their votes for the top three photos. (Votes to be received by 23 February 2021)
- Votes are counted and the top 3 selected.
- Winners are announced at the MKNHS Zoom meeting on 02 March 2021 one week after the deadline for voting for round 2.
Winning photos will be shown at this meeting and winners will be asked to say something about their photos.
- The final 8 will be put on the website gallery page for the photo competition winners 2021.
- The winner will be presented with the Ron Arnold Shield* to hold for the year (when conditions allow). Their name will be engraved on the shield and they will receive a miniature shield to keep.
Please Note! Photos MUST be sent in by 11pm on 26 January 2021 at the latest!
Entries will NOT be accepted after 26 January 2021.
Votes cast after the deadlines for Round 1 and Round 2 will not be counted….
Please note that by submitting photos you are agreeing to your images being displayed on the Society website. Images displayed in the Society gallery after the competition will show attributed copyright.