The Field Studies Council is offering a new online course, timed for the fungi season.
They say “This beginners course is a starting guide to the skills required to begin identifying fungi in the field. You will learn valuable observational field skills; what to look for, what to record and how to record it. Looking at habitat, substrate and how the fungus interacts with its surroundings, this is the perfect course for novices looking to learn more about the fungi around them and start to identify fungi groups.”
Fungi enthusiasts and beginners will explore the techniques for identifying fungi in the field through the following topics:
- Fungi Field Skills: Field notes, understanding habitat and field equipment
- Field Identification Skills
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Record useful field notes and use the correct equipment to safely collect fungi
- Make accurate habitat and substrate observations
- Understand key morphological features to begin a fungus identification
- Share this knowledge with friends, family, and fellow volunteers
This 2-week online course covers 2 topics, for which you will complete a variety of online resources and activities. Each topic is then concluded with an interactive Zoom workshop to complement the content.
Please note that bookings will close at 9 am on Monday 11th October to allow for all participants to be enrolled to the online platform – booking will not be taken after this time.
Each individual needs to place their own order to ensure we can sign you up to the learning platform and give you access to resources.
If you are aged 18-25, you are eligible for a £25 discount thanks to the Generation Green project, click here to find out more.