The Society’s Annual Photographic Competition was held online this year, with the winners being announced on 15th February 2022. The final 8 photos are shown below, with the winner and 2nd and 3rd entries shown in the captions. Two 2 photos tied for 2nd place.
The photographers’ more detailed descriptions of the winning entries are given below the photographs.
The competition is for the Ron Arnold Shield. Ron Arnold was an early member of the Society and a keen photographer. The competition was set up in his memory, and is open to all members of the Society.
How to use this page
- Hover over the image to see the caption.
- Click on an image to see it full screen, together with additional notes (for most of the photos).
- Use the left and right arrow buttons to move backwards and forwards through the slide show.
- Click outside the photo, click the little X in the top left hand corner or press the Escape key to return to the album.
- Clicking the View full size button opens a new tab. Use the original tab to continue the slide show.
- To see a different album, click on the Gallery menu and select the album.
- All photos on this website are subject to copyright of the original photographer unless otherwise stated.
Notes on the Winners’ photos
Female banded demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) taken on 9th June at 6am. The demoiselles were roosting all together in the vegetation next to the river Ouse. I went down early to get some photos whilst they were inactive as they are very difficult to capture later in the day when the temperature has risen. The dew on their bodies was wonderful to see and I was very pleased with my photos that morning. My camera is a little compact Sony DSC-WX350 with a x20 optical zoom.
I used a macro lens, tripod and twin flash – and a lot of patience.
Take with a hand-held camera with a 400mm telephoto lens.